Monday, November 27, 2006

A lesson from my Grandmother

I’ve been reading a lot recently about new ways of being ‘church’ and feeling a little uneasy that I may have to give up some of my familiar props if we are to be effective in our mission. But I had a revelation today.

Today is my grandmother’s 98th birthday – this morning, Melbourne time, I received an SMS from my family to say that they were in the midst of the birthday celebrations and it would be a good time to call and say ‘happy birthday’. So on the side of a dirt road, on the other side of the globe, I called my grandmother from my mobile phone and wished her a happy birthday. At 98 she takes this in her stride just as she is happy to look at pictures on a computer rather than pass around photographs.

I think what I am saying here is that the telephone greeting was a similar conversation to one I would have had with her on a local land-line thirty years ago. The pictures we looked at on a computer recently were the same family groupings we would have looked at on photo paper thirty years ago. Doing the same things in new ways strengthens the relationship; it doesn’t weaken or cheapen it. It allows it to continue in ‘real-time’ despite the tyranny of distance.

There are new ways in which we can be Church, we just have to be prepared to accept them.

1 comment:

Stuarticus said...

It's interesting to consider the different rates of change in the wider community and the church.
Also, change is not necessarily synonimous with improvement..
So, should the church:
* lead from the front
* keep pace with societal
expectations or
* act as a rearguard moderating
influence?